Back to School Tips: Strengthening Conversations
As children get older, it becomes harder to stay informed about what’s happening at school. “How was school today?” is often followed by vague, one word answers that provide little
information. Taking small moments to connect individually with your children will show them that you enjoy learning more about them and their daily activities. Here are a few innovative questions you can ask to jump-start the conversation:
- What was the best thing that happened at school today?
- Tell me something that made you laugh today
- What were you most proud of today?
- What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
- What are you studying now? Are you excited about anything that you’re
- Did you make any new friends today?
- What was challenging about your day?
- Don’t ask multiple questions all at once.
- Choose questions that are best fit for your child’s personality.
- Ask them when you have the ability to listen attentively.
- Don’t interrupt while they are answering, and thank them for sharing.