Want to learn more about how you can support the teens in your life?
Embrace Families is offering a FREE Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) training course for members of our Central Florida community.
YMHFA teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders in youth. We recommend the certification for anyone who regularly interacts with young people â€“ teachers, case workers, camp counselors, volunteers, parents, law enforcement, etc.
The training covers:
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness in this age group, including: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, and ADHD
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use
- How to interact with a child or adolescent in crisis
- How to connect the person with help
- New content on trauma, addiction and self-care and the impact of social media and bullying
- Action Planning to support youth in need
The classes, which are offered virtually via Zoom, require two hours of pre-work ahead of the 4-5 hour online, live session. Seats are limited, so be sure to register ASAP!
Participants will receive a 3-year certification as a Youth Mental Health First Aider. Upcoming course dates are scheduled for: Wednesday, June 30; Wednesday, July 28; Wednesday, August 25; Wednesday, Sept. 29. Note: Please choose a date that you can definitely attend â€“ â€œno-showsâ€ can cause the need to reschedule an entire class.
To register, contact Kathryn Labrador, project coordinator, at email@example.com. If you are interested in scheduling a class specific to your company or community organization (between 5 and 20 participants), just reach out!
Courses offered by Embrace Families Solutions in partnership with local trainers, with funding through the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).